We are going to put some summer recipe that will blend right in with the traditional American Barbeque! Raw Barbeque Fare??? You bet.
With the warm weather, it’s always good to welcome guests with a drink so they can rehydrate Proper hydration is a super important for feeling your best and one overlooked by many, even those attentive to health.
A simple but refreshing Lemonade. Mix the following in a blender:
- Take 1 whole lemon and cut off as much of the yellow skin as possible while leaving as much of the white part underneath attached as possible.
- Add 1″ of ginger root per lemon.
- Add 1 tbsp of agave nectar per lemon.
- Add 3 cups of water per lemon.
Blend and chill. Serve with a sprig of mint.
Ok, for our meal we will start with a chilled Corn Chowder. Yummy!
- 12 units of corn (cut off giblets, save one unit for garnishing)
- 2 units of tomato
- 6 cups water (start with 4 and add to taste)
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1 inch of shredded ginger root
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro (save a few leaves for garnishing)
Blend in a Vitamix or high powered blender. Add water to taste. Serve garnished with corn and cilantro.
Dandelion Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
What makes a great salad. Sure great greens and veggies but the real deal is a knockout dressing. Dressings and sauces can raise your dish to the next level. Here is a salad which is incredibly delicious and good for you and a great addition to the summer recipe. Yields 5 cups.
- 2 cups ginger dressing
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 bag dandelion greens (sub your favorite salad if necessary)
- 1-2 cups unchopped walnuts
Wedge and squeeze lemon into mixing bowl. Mix the dressing, pomegranate juice, salt, and olive oil with the lemon juice in the mixing bowl. Prep your dandelion greens by soaking and washing them. Prep the walnuts by soaking them for about an hour. Place greens and walnuts in a bowl and add as much dressing as you’d like!
Now, what would a BBQ be without a potato salad? How about a potato-less salad?
- 1 lb diced jicama
- 3 celery stalks, chopped thin diagonally
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 2 ears of sweet corn
- 1 diced medium size zucchini
- 3 diced medium yellow squash
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill (this can be higher or lower, flavor to taste)
Remove kernels from corn cobs. Place all above ingredients in a large bowl.
Lemon Dill Sauce:
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup cashews
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 2 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp dill
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
Mix all sauce ingredients together and stir well. Pour over salad ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Enjoy!